East Three School Improvement Plan 2016 17 > East Three SAP SIP 2016 17
East Three Behaviour Conduct Model (AKA Discipline Policy) > Behaviour Conduct Model East Three 2016 17
Grading Practices and policies > Grading Practices – Secondary
In the fall of 2012, the new East Three Secondary School was open! The second biggest building project in the NWT, East Three houses both the secondary and elementary school population. A joint project combines the sharing of a gym and other facilities. This brand new school is a shining star of the community!
Inuvik, the largest Canadian community north of the Arctic Circle and the regional government center for the Mackenzie Delta area, was planned by the federal government. The site was selected to replace Aklavik, and a hospital, school and airport were built over a period of six years, from 1955 to 1961. Both Gwich’in and Inuvialuit families moved to the new community, located on a navigable channel of the Mackenzie Delta.
Oil and natural gas were discovered nearby in the early 1970s, and following extensive exploration, world class discoveries were identified. The Aboriginal Pipeline Group, which includes the Gwich’in, is a partner in a proposal to build the first pipeline along the Mackenzie Valley to deliver gas from the Arctic to southern Canada and the US.
As the center for resource exploration and government, Inuvik expands with development of Canada’s Arctic oil and gas reserves. The town has a population of close to 4000, with about 15 per cent claiming Gwich’in ancestry. The Gwich’in of Inuvik call themselves the Nihtat Gwich’in (“mixed people”) because the community is made up of a mixture of different Gwich’in peoples.
- Junior/Senior High School serving 250 students Grades 7-12.
- 24 Teachers, 5 support staff
- We offer a wide range of programs including: Full range of university preparation courses at the secondary school level including direct instruction in Biology 30, Chemistry 30, Physics 30, Mathematics 30-1, Mathematics 30-2, English 30-1 and Social Studies 30-1.
- eLearning – we broadcast a number of courses to other communities to support distance learning options for those students who would otherwise not be able to access courses
- Language instruction in Gwich’in, Inuvialuktun and French Immersion.
- Full sports program including: basketball, volleyball, track and field, floor hockey, badminton, squash, soccer, swimming, cross country skiing, wrestling, traditional sports and games.
- Various clubs including: Student Leadership Council, Butthead anti-smoking, cooking club, community band, Schools on Board.
- Innovation and Technology: High Speed Internet, 4 computer labs, iPads to support learning, library/research centre, School Website, and classroom SMARTboards.
- Trades programs including: carpentry, welding, electrical, photography, hairstyling, esthetics, cooking, baking, metalworks and plumbing.
- Fine Arts Program offering graphic arts, ceramics/pottery, music and drama.
- Breakfast Program
East Three Secondary School
Bag Service #3
Inuvik, NT XOE OTO
PH: (867) 777-3030
FAX: (867) 777-4390